Monday 4 January 2010

2010 Resolutions

First and foremost a happy, healthy and joyous New Year to you all!

And with that jovial spirit hanging in the air I am loath to cave in to the overwhelming sentiment of slovenly misery brought on by too much food, too much central heating, too many bad presents and too much family. As the last of those dried out pine needles hits the floor and the remaining chocolate Santa’s dangled dismally out of childish grasp is eaten I would like to focus on the year ahead and the relentless optimism of my New Year’s resolutions. It is my intention that by setting them down for all to see, I am in fact entering into a binding contract with myself and any failure will be both public and rather embarrassing. So here goes:

1: Read 1 ‘good’ book a month. I will finish Candide (3 years in the trying) and Penny Vincenzi (my guilty secret) doesn’t count.

2: Become the mistress of my kitchen. Last year I became a passably proficient cook. This year I will be a culinary sensation.

3: Move my skinny self. My body is a stranger to muscle tone and this year, as I edge ever closer to my mid 30’s is the perfect time to introduce those duelling factions before my arse hits the floor.

4: Learn a language. My French is bordering on embarrassing and speaking to our Italian factory is an exercise in hilariarity. Time to get a grip on those verbs and pronouns before I order 200 purple suitcases.

5: Archive my wardrobe and build a studio. Perk of the job means that I have, over the years acquired a ridiculous amount of clothes which aside from being beautiful have enormous emotional value as they chart the course of the last 10 years of my life. They are currently occupying a whole room in my house which would be much better used as a studio for all the writing, drawing, painting and sculpting I never have space for. Sample sale time! Karmic Klean!

6: Travel. Always a pleasure, never a chore. The world is my oyster. LA is to be the new destination of choice for 2010. Skinny mocha chocca double decaff soya lattes here I come!

7: Accept, relax and enjoy. As I gain in years and experience it seams that I spend too much time battling the inevitable. Sometimes it is so much better to practice acceptance and have faith that your life will be the best it can be if you smile. Easier said than done but a nice thought none the less!

8: Laugh. Often and deeply. It makes the bad stuff better and the good stuff great. Also very good for your stomach muscles.

9: Be nicer to Amiee. She insisted on that one and I am never one to look a challenge in the face and back down.

Save the best till last…..10: Be the best mother I can to my two beautiful children. Show them fun, laughter and all the love I have.

Someone once told me that life is a privilege, and it is with that in mind that every year I am excited by the prospect of 12 shiny new months ahead of me. Full of possibility, chance, effort, achievement, joy, laughter, friendships and family. Of course there will be the tears and traumas but what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger and as long as I and my loved ones are still standing to tell the tale then let the Theatre of Life play on…. Who knows what the New Year will bring!

P.S.
And in the spirit of achievement for the New Year a big congratulations to Danielle who having tasted success as a pole dancing queen, has now moved on to marathons completing her first in Texas on 1st Jan 2010. Check that girl out!



Danielle (centre) post race with running pals Alex (left) and Becky (right)

No comments:

Post a Comment