Sunday 21 November 2010

Probiotics and Biros - What More Could A Girl Need?



So in about 5 minutes I get on a plane for New Delhi. And for some reason this feels like quite a big deal. Obviously I do travel a ridiculous amount - in fact it is rare for me to be in London for more than 3 weeks at a time without hopping on a plane to somewhere and, as a travel addict, this suits me fine.

However, I have been doing a circuit of Paris - New York - Tel Aviv - Tokyo for so long that it has become almost routine and I barely register that I am somewhere other than home. In fact they practically are home. India is entirely new. And more to the point- I am doing it entirely alone. Usually I travel either with Amiee or Handsome and the kids, or for a consultancy where I will be expected to be at a certain place at a certain time. But Delhi is me, myself and I on my own agenda and that is rather disconcerting.  I have no idea what to expect. 


I have a suitcase full of random things including probiotics and biros and currently imagine myself standing on street corners handing pens out to beggars whilst scoffing vitamins..... Anyway, the plan of action is to spend a week in Delhi for work and then to hop on a plane to Chennai, drive 5 hours to Pondicherry and then end up in Tirumavammalai (surely I will master how to spell this before I finally get there) to spend a few days with my friend Harriett.

This sounds wonderful but this is me and I am not known for my organizational skills. I am not entirely sure how I am going to get myself from one end of India to the other.  Up until Tuesday I had no idea that I even needed a visa to get into the country in the first place and needed to get an emergency 24 hour visa which entailed hurried letters to the Indian High Commissioner. And then it transpired that my passport lacked sufficient days and pages needed for the emergency visa which meant I needed an emergency passport to precede my emergency visa. To be honest this is fairly typical of me and now I am on a plane to New Delhi en route to Turumavumalai...... The mind fairly boggles. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment